Wednesday 20 May 2009

Aaaargh!

I´m desperately trying to get into the way of the siesta, more through necessity than cultural exchange. Like the princess in the fairy tale, I seem to be able to detect every lump in the woodwork beneath my mattress, and together with daily half-7 starts and the thousands of multi-syllabled words flying around my brain, and I am a just touch sleep-deprived. But siestas are less easy done than said, it seems.

But, at the edge of the dark cloud that is a streaming cold (courtesy of one of my classmates, a Team GB Olympic equestrian), I espied a silver lining. A couple of Ibuprofen and a big lunch and I´ll be out for a good 2 hours, I thought. But no, el gordo American who left the hostel a couple of days ago has returned unexpectedly this afternoon, and this time he is billeted in my dorm. Que mal! Now, I know there isn´t a huge amount you can do about snoring, and people who do usually wish they didn´t, but if this guy makes the same noise for the next two nights as he did before he left, I´m going to end up doing time. My solution for this evening is prayer to a non-existent deity and Malbec, both in large quantities.

No comments: