Wednesday 21 January 2009

Sampling Lao culture

Sabadee.

Twas ever going to be the way. The Laos Traditional Show, right next to my guest house in Vientiane, was putting on an entirely authentic and noisy evening of Karaoke, featuring such celebrated Laotian artists as Celine Dion and INXS. Still, the racket kept me awake long enough to see President Obama take office and drink too much Beerlao. This, followed by a first breakfast of bagel with egg, bacon and cheese from a chain coffee shop, and I think I'm well on the way to truly understanding the unique cultural mix this country has to offer.

Still, it's 90 degrees, Vientiane is calm and beautiful, my body is slowly thawing from the bitter month we've had in London, and my guest house is on the banks of the mighty Mekong. Can't ask for more than that. Well I could. You can't actually see the Mekong very easily as there's no water, but my map says it should be there. One of the highlights of Laos is to take a trip down the river, but memories of my last boat journey in South East Asia (also in the dry season - 12 hours, no toilet, lots of getting out and pushing the canoe off river banks) might steer me away from this option.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fred. Glad you reached your first destination without any dramas. I hope you get this message as I am new to blogging. Lots of love Mum.

Anonymous said...

Great blog Daddy Freddy. I'm almost tempted to start a companion piece to your magnum opus in which I document 6 months of staying in exactly the same, freezing, overcrowded, North European city and hating work ;-) Yours jealously, AlexMaccyD

Anonymous said...

Hi again Fred. Glad you got my blog.Im looking forward to following your adventures. Its beginning to be real to me now, especially when I see the pictures and maps of the places you are in. lots of love, mum X

Anonymous said...

Hello Fred
I am over seeing Cynthia and thought I would leave you a message. Trust you are enjoying yourself and not speaking to any strange people. Cynthia has just paid a stranger to wash her car - he was a student. I am just about to book a flight to Belfast - will give them your love.
lots of love from your old aunt.
Barbara X

Ros said...

Hey Fred,

Glad you reached your destination okay, and it sounds like you are already emersing yourself into the culture and lifestyle of kareoke and dancing.

Love your stories so far they are keeping me smiling through my day of paper.

Have too much fun.

Ros